Mode of Delivery:
Information and communication technologies (ICT) have become one of the fundamental building blocks of modern society. Many countries now regard the mastering of the basic skills and concepts of ICT as an inevitable part of the core of education. To this end, various new models of education are evolving in response to the new opportunities that are becoming available by integrating ICT and in particular Web-based technologies, into the teaching and learning environment. The effective integration of such applications however, depends to a large extent on teacher’s familiarity and ability with the IT learning environment.
Teachers need to know exactly how ICT is used as a teaching and learning tool, for their own purposes and to help students to use them. This module is about the integration of ICT as a tool in the classroom with the overall aim of increasing the effectiveness of teaching and improving students’ learning. The module outlines a program of objectives and related activities for an ICT enhanced learning environment in teaching and learning.
2. Prerequisite or Knowledge
- Module 1: ELE 1101 ICT Basic Skills 1
- Module 2: ELE 2101 ICT Basic Skills 2
- Module 3: ELE 3101 ICT Intermediate Skills
- Module 4: ELE 4101 ICT Advanced Skills
3. General objective(s)
The main objectives of the module are to have you:
- Know how to use ICT as a tool for designing new learning environments for their own subject-specific purposes to help their future students to use ICT.
- provide the student-teacher with the knowledge, skills and attitudes to better use technology in their lesson-planning and lessons, research, communication, problem-solving, and continuing professional development.
You should spend approximately 40 hours to cover this module
- Computer software and hardware
- Portable ICT devices for modeling and simulation
- Worksheet, spreadsheet, database templates and graph drawing software
- Web-based resources: for interacting with appropriate teaching and learning materials on CD-ROMs, websites and interactive multi-media display boards
- Word-processing facilities